View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #122
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Changed out the fluids in the FR-S today. Much, much easier job thanks to a buddy of mine who happens to have a lift.

Changed out engine oil with Motul 300V 0W20. Transmission and rear differential got Motul Gear 300. OEM Subaru oil filter.

This DIY covers all the basics: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19218

I accidentally removed the silver underbelly pan before realizing all I had to do was remove the black fiberglass underbody panel. Either way, got a chance to see how our cars and engine look from the underside.

Changing out all the fluids from start to finish took me about 2-3 hours while shooting the shit with my buddy, allowing all fluids to drain almost completely as well as letting the fluid I was putting in to weep out. My fluids were warm at the time of drainage. I'd recommend that.

Word of advice, when removing the drain plug for the tranny fluid, it's going to come out fast and shoot pretty far in the direction the drain bolt itself is facing. lol.

Shifts are much, much smoother and less notchy now. The car itself feels great. Props to Adam at @No Limit Motorsport for the motul fluids and washers. Great price and fast shipping.

My magnetic drain plugs were not nearly as bad as some of the other pictures I have seen of others on this forum who have changed out their rear diff fluids.

Also, for engine oil changes, I'd highly recommend this:

http://asttool.com/detail_page.php?f...nf&manf=Subaru

It threads right on to where the engine oil cap goes and makes pouring oil in very easy.

From here on out, I will be doing my oil changes from the top side, using a Mityvac pump to remove the oil. I did want to do the first oil change from underneath in hopes of getting more of whatever shavings out.

I'm contemplating picking up a set of front fog lights next for the car, as far as cosmetic mods go anyway.

I'm definitely investing in a set of pads, and upgraded fluid (might add rotors and SS lines, not sure) before my trip up to the Dragon in April. Leaning towards a set of Project Mu's along with Motul RBF brake fluid.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfbmike For This Useful Post:
No Limit Motorsport (01-06-2014)