View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #39
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's an easy one. Drive the Civ until you get your BRZ (from a dealer in CA if delayed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
I bought a car from Virginia shipped to CA, insured/drove it a couple weeks then kept it garaged. Didn't feel like paying CA registration/tax/license because I was moving to Kansas in 3 months. After the move, Kansas DMV dinged me for not registering within 60 days of obtaining the car. A whopping $12 penalty. I got away with cheaper Kansas registration/tax/license.

Not the same situation but just wanted to point out sometimes DMV late fees/penalties are next to nothing. Not sure how important registration would be though if pulled over in CA with TX registration paid through the year. Insurance is a no-brainer.

Last edited by switchlanez; 04-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote