Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
You know something we don't? Last I heard it was a 65 kWh motor with 225 mile range.

It's $35k before tax credit - assuming you're in California that's $10k off, while credits last. Each manufacture gets an allotment of some 200,000 credits. In theory once those are gone, the credits diminish repeatedly. Current projections put the credits evaporated by Q1 2018. Production/deliveries of the Model three are Q4 2017 - will be tight to get the full discount. But that's all politics and at the whim of lobbyists to extend credits

My hunch - two things may happen: it'll be $35k for an introductory price with up to $15,000 in options/accessories. Or it'll eventually be $35k, introductory price will be a special edition model at $45k and "$35k with incentives" or something to that effect.

Throw in awd, a couple of options (autonomous driving, premium interior), a nice paint an upgraded 70 kWh motor and you'll still be before the heels of a base Model S at around $60,000.

Or the Model S could come down to $60,000 before incentives with the smaller motor. Either way, it's definitely opening up the market for them but I don't think it'll be the floodgate folks are making it out to be. Ultimately, Tesla is still a niche boutique brand who did/continue to do the EV justice. But imagine if they went mainstream, how bad the press would be with a general consumer frustrated at all the hiccups/issues/quality lapses the Model S has had. Not in any fault to the product, teething is normal. Tesla was smart to release slowly, to the wealthy 'techies' whom had the patience and willingness to trouble shoot for the company. The Model 3, intending to be the Model T of the EV world, will need a lot more luck and financial strategy than the Model S, in my opinion.

Forgot to add: if lease rates are right - I'm super interested in leasing one in 2017/2018! Can't wait for the unveil tonight, woo hoo!
There was an article published yesterday that stated the Model 3 would be a smaller hybrid of the Models X and S (think shorter/taller sedan) that would do 0-60 in under 4 seconds with a range of over 300 miles with a ~80 kwh battery. Apparently this source has access to the Model 3 and has been a reliable source in the past. Only question is whether all that would be available in the base Model 3, or premium versions. If you haven't seen the article yet:

http://electrek.co/2016/03/30/tesla-model-3-specs/

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote