Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #425
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
For manual transmission it would be probably slightly faster.
My guesstimate is .5-1 second faster. Some of the time gained is loss because you would need to shift to 3rd. BUT after 62mph the 4.10's would need to shift(lost time) to 3rd and the 4.56 would already be ahead and in 3rd pulling further away.

I forgot where I read it, but someone mentioned 4.88's in an auto, 30-90mph they gained something like 2 seconds.
Assuming both cars are in the power band, mathematically they cancel out. In other words, the extra distance gained by the lower PD car is lost completely during the time when it upshifts and the higher FD car stays in gear. In real world, you'll see advantages in the lower FD car as it:

1) spends less time in the sub-optimal power band when accelerating from a start
and
2) at any point in time will either be even or have a lead assuming all other factors are equal, even if at some points the higher FD car is gaining.

If you're seeing 2 second advantages, it's probably over a span optimized for the lower FD car, i.e. lower FD car is at or near redline right before it has to upshift.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote