View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #45
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wanted to respond to this post, because completely coincidentally I shared the video with a group of my local "86" enthusiasts. Their reaction was entirely negative to this video, and I think I can understand why. To a lot of people, this is their first major car purchase. For one reason or another, they are fans of this car and when you care about something a lot, it is extremely easy to tear down someone who is "attacking" something that is so close to your heart. I personally consider myself a car enthusiast first, and I currently enjoy owning an FR-S.

I find myself thinking a lot of the same thoughts as @Dezoris. Such questions as why throw $20k at a $25k car when I could buy a gently used C6 Z-06, Cayman S, Elise, E92 M3 etc. At the end of the day, I decided I would hold off on doing any sort of FI on this car until it is paid off. My reasoning behind that is because by then I know that I have given the platform time to mature, and that I haven't gotten my latest case of car ADD and moved on.

There are tons of different experiences and I think as informed enthusiasts it is important to read and think critically when we make purchases. Whether we plan to do the work ourselves or have a reputable shop do the work you have to come back and ask the question "what are my goals?". If you walk into an FR-S or a BRZ expecting to add FI, wheels, suspension and good tires then don't be surprised if you have surpassed the all-in cost of cars that will still be faster, more reliable, handle better, and still retain their factory warranty. That is the insane truth of modifying a late model car.
@Dezoris has shared a ton of great information with this community, and he doesn't have anything to gain from it except for maybe some small kickbacks from youtube advertisements. Think about it, if owners like him weren't excited about the car and throwing money at it right after release, the aftermarket for this car might look something like that of Genesis Coupe. Sure some of these guys get burnt out but if no one bought the car the first year and modded it we wouldn't be where we are today.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
Darryljr11 (03-25-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-24-2016), yamrossi (03-24-2016), zc06_kisstherain (03-24-2016)