View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dual Function Daybright Domelight

Copied from the other thread...

This is a project I've been working on for a few weeks now and thought I would finally share it with you guys. I really didn't like the idea that in order for me to have blue lighting in my car, I would have to sacrifice usability and utility. If you've ever tried to find/read something in pure red/blue/whatever light, you know it's difficult at best. I decided to remedy that problem by creating a dual function domelight.

After waiting a couple of weeks, I finally received my proto-boards, reflow soldered the components, and retrofit it into the domelight assembly. There are a total of 24 PLCC LEDs that are used for accent lighting. The 6 main LEDs are Luxeon Rebel LEDs and run up to 900mA each.

For the Accent function, the domelight is simply left in the "DOOR" position. A voltage controlled pulse width modulation circuit ensures that the LEDs are dimmed as LEDs should properly be dimmed. Every single product offering currently available for this vehicle does not properly dim the LEDs and simply relies on the stock voltage drop. This leads to a domelight that seems to just instantly turn off after dimming just a small amount. My domelights accent LEDs dim 100% linearly. There is also built in thermal shutdown protection, over-current protection, and over-voltage protection.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA-6GIDAz0&feature=player_detailpage"]Daybright Domelight Accent Function - YouTube[/ame]

For the Main LED function, the domelight is simply switched to "ON." The main LEDs are truly the best part about this project. I designed the board where I can easily choose any amount of light output between 100 Lumens, all the way up to 1400 Lumens of total output. For comparison, a stock HID bulb outputs ~3200 Lumens. I ultimately narrowed it down to 3 stages:

Stage 1 - 500 Lumens
Stage 2 - 900 Lumens
Stage 3 - 1400 Lumens

The comparison photos were all shot at the exact same F-Stop and ISO. Enjoy.

Another upside to this design is the Accent LEDs can be any color, and the main LEDs can be any color. This includes cool, neutral, warm white, plus deep red, red, red-orange, amber, green, cyan, blue, royal blue, purple, etc.

-Acree

Last edited by Acree; 02-20-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Acree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
Iceman-86 (11-29-2014), mmontes (02-20-2014), Wolfking (03-04-2014)