View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
arbnpx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hahaha, nice. I saw your blog post about the Carrera GT. There was a college student at the UMass car show who had an Audi R8 V10, so I figured he wouldn't be that enthusiastic about me getting the FR-S, but he said, "Wow, I love that car!" At that point, I thought, "Whoa! I didn't think he'd bat an eye at mentioning the FR-S."

Another litmus test is going to be the local cruise night. Mostly American cars and classic cars there, so that's a good subsection to judge from. There's a guy who always brings his pristine but daily-driven 2005 Camry. I always park the 2006 tC next to his Camry, since they're basically cousins. Some weeks, we're the only Japanese cars in the entire gallery. I'll keep close notes on the reaction to the FR-S.

I was able to test drive the FR-S at a gala event at Wellesley Scion today. That transmission is a work of art. I hit the gate on a 2-3 shift, but that was all me, not being accustomed to the shift feel. The clutch pedal reminded me of the 7th-gen Celica that my mom has; I think MotoMiwa said that the clutch feel was a dead-on match to the AE86. That engine feels great at all speeds; even sitting in the passenger seat before the handoff, I felt something euphoric when the rep was revving the engine up to head toward a traffic light. And in the corners, it didn't roll at all; it stayed planted on the ground. This is a truly magical car, which makes the Bayonetta homage far more appropriate.
arbnpx is offline   Reply With Quote