View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Try using second gear and a lot of clutch slip.

Turning traction control off can help in very loose and slippery snow but only if there isn't ice on the ground. Allowing a little wheelspin does improve traction in deep loose snow by kicking out some of the snow between the tread and the ground.

I have also used carpet strips, pile side down, with success.

The problem with fresh wet snow is ice on the ground under the snow.

Snow tires work by grabbing and holding snow in their treads which then freezes to and grips the snow on the road surface. The limit is reached when the snow won't freeze to the ground. Snow tires self clean their treads as the rotate. All season tires tend to hold the snow.

Finally, Michelin Ice are not as good in snow, ironically. They really are designed to be optimized for ice grip. Where you are this is good not bad but you do have to be patient in fresh warm snow.

For the Michelin Ice I'd suggest try for minimal wheelspin by modulating the clutch and using the highest gear that will work ,usually second.

You will find reverse is the most difficult gear to use to get unstuck, ratio is lowest (highest number )
carpet strips are a great idea
i was looking at some rubber strips yesterday and didn't feel like paying $40 for just one.......but i'm sure i can find some garbage carpet strips somewhere, and use those

my tires are hankook w409 i-pike, first time using that brand
brzr is offline   Reply With Quote