View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #99
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
Thousands of 86 owners, including myself, drive these cars aggressively every day. Go search YT for "FRS BRZ track" and watch. Saying you can't drive them aggressively because a few have run bad tunes that caused issues, and one took his car back out on track, twice, after major problems were apparent and blew up his motor, is kind of like saying you can't drink from a glass because a glass may break if it's dropped.
http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/24...nk-i-broke-it/
I for one hope you are right, but there are posts of folks with the DI failure who never even autocross let alone run a tune, what I've noticed is they typically have higher miles. Many of the "track Junkies" don't use this as their primary car and may have fairly low miles. Its the guys who have commuted 30k miles the last year holding down a job who don't have time for "tunes" and autocross that concern me the most.

But I do hope you are right, the way the ECUtek encrypts the ECU never set well with me. This is what an 8 bit processor ECU? Ever use encryption on a 64 bit processor (slows it down considerably.) It would be really nice to dismiss this entire issue as bad tuning/ECUtek issues, but Mike is adamant that his ECU is stock and gave it to Subaru for proof. I am sure some of these failures are tune related but I don't think we can say all of them are?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote