Old 09-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #71
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post
Short review of the new setup (Stoptech slotted rotors, Carbotech XP10 pads - front only - Stoptech brake lines all around and same Castrol SRF).

During the pad's bed-in period the squealing was unbearable. This process took quite a long time, up to 600 miles of mixed driving (20% city, the rest up in the mountains).
Now, after more than 1k miles it seems to be a bit less noisy and I hope that's the case because they are bedded in properly and not because the outside temps have dropped in the last 2 weeks.
Up the mountains they behave great, lot's more feedback, no issues whatsoever.

On the track however there's an obvious tendency on straight hard braking for the back to slide around quite a lot. This was not the case before and my guess is because of the different pads in the back (yellowstuff). Also, the difference in feedback is not obvious on hard braking (and this is the case on most corners). Maybe there should not be any difference or I'm still to new in this and unable to see it, or maybe I did not pushed them hard enough for the difference to became obvious. Lap times are on par with those from my last trackday so I'm a bit disappointed. Ar least I'm more confident in my brakes.

I'll keep the pads for now, but I think I'll try something different next time (mostly because of the noise). Next on my list were Club Racer and DTC-60, does anyone know how these compare (noise wise) with XP10?

P.S. worth mentioning is that this time I did some cooling laps every 5 minutes or so
When I had xp10's, I only remember getting squeal when the transfer layer had worn off. Try re-bedding them. What I did was 60-5 mph x 10, threshold braking, no ABS. Helps to be on your track tires. Can usually smell the brake pads a bit afterwards.

As strat mentioned, the cause of the instability is probably the difference in pad friction coefficient between the xp10's and ebc yellows. Try matching pads front to rear.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-13-2019)