Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
This! I actually do almost exclusively autocross right now. I don't even daily the car, so it's to/from events, occasional road-trips, and autocross. And sidelong glances at the track. When I'm ready to walk away from the car, I'll be there, probably wishing I still had the Teins on the car. Or maybe testing into similar spring rates for track days.
@churchx To provide a more thorough answer:

As grip went up and courses got faster, the Teins would really show what they were capable of (I'd not be surprised if they did well at nationals, assuming it's dry, for example). I so badly wanted to love them all the time. As grip fell off or surface got bad (one lot requires choosing fast transitions, or fast through the rough... I'm hoping to find a happier medium...) it became a struggle to keep the car behaving consistently well.

I've gone down *significantly* on spring rate to start this season, lower than what I think the Teins were suited for, but there's more to it as well. I'll be experimenting with spring rates. My previous comment about color might be enough for you to make some accurate assumptions as well, but I'm not really wanting to go on about it here. Suffice to say it isn't a lateral move.

What really is interesting is that, aside from one stretch of highway I drove a lot where the distances the cement was laid down lines up with some harmonic and it feels like the car is a seesaw, highway driving was never an issue - and that includes my wife, who likes to knit while we travel, and did so without trouble. Oh, and that one HORRIBLE road in Michigan, where I thought the car was going to fall apart.

And all this goes back to what I asked the OP: what needs to change? Because without that, ... who knows.

Note, I haven't driven more than 5 miles on the Tarmacs yet, so have zero opinion of them performance-wise.
All of Michigan is like that unfortunately. I felt the suspension in the rental SUV work harder than it really should and I could feel that harmonic cadence like you're describing. On side note, you can dial the dampers differently to run on those SRCs and actually make it glide.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote