View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #24
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good stuff, thanks to everyone who's thrown their 2c in.

Kansas is pretty flat, so around here snowy conditions are pretty tame. Most people who get into trouble are either those brilliant fools who think the AWD on the back of their soccer-mom crossover means they can still go 75mph on a 60mph highway despite packed snow and black ice, or the people who don't give themselves more room to stop and do a pre-stop brake test. Like if you're coming up on a stop sign, push the brakes a little to see if you have any grip, well in advance of where you're going to NEED that grip to actually stop.

I actually like driving my truck in the winter more than I do in the summer for two simple reasons. First, the heater in it will absolutely bake you to death if you crank it. Love it. Second, the truck is MUCH more maneuverable if I can "steer" with the rear tires. It's a 2.2L I4, so it's not like it has much power, but it gets good mileage and I have a 5 speed manual in it so I can put the power it has down pretty precisely.

So it sounds like the 86 would be a handful with the stock tires on it, but something I could keep in line if I'm alert. Smarter move would be some all-season tires at least for winter. But since the truck can collect dents without worry (so long as I don't bend the frame or the wheels I'm not worried) it'll still be the preferred foul-weather driver.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote