Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Interesting.

Even in freezing (under 32F/0C) weather, I can get my oil to 75C (post-cooler) cruising without issue. I've literally never seen over 110C, even on the hottest of summer track days, and my turbo is oil cooled.

GReddy oil cooler w/ race shroud, for those wondering which cooler I use.
It gets freezing in Orange County? lol Just kidding, but honestly, although I'm sure your car has traveled to cold areas, but was it to Vermont-like cold areas? I'm truly curious because it is fricken freezing there, and it is why I suggested the OP (who is from Canada, and possible of a more northern latitude) could possibly go without a dedicated oil cooler for daily driving his car.

Quote:
The annual mean temperature for the state is 43 °F (6 °C)
Quote:
The lowest recorded temperature was −50 °F (−46 °C), at Bloomfield, on December 30, 1933; this is the lowest temperature recorded in New England alongside Big Black River, which recorded a verified −50 °F (−46 °C) in 2009.
Quote:
The United States Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones for the state range between zone 3b, no colder than −35 °F (−37 °C), in the Northeast Kingdom and northern part of the state and zone 5b, no colder than −15 °F (−26 °C), in the southern part of the state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont#Climate

I have never heard of this rating system (hardness zones), so I looked it up and got this image, which may illustrate the climate differences that might explain the disparity between your experience and the experience of @DarkPira7e and potentially the OP's. Maybe it was a wind chill factor and humidity in Vermont or the car was sitting in -20°C all night, so it was colder to begin with, but it seems reasonable that both of your experiences were likely normal and expected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardiness_zone