Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #56
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
Fair enough, but a Z owner can take off a fair bit of weight themselves (SCC took 700 lbs off of a 350Z, albeit it was bare), and that block will hold over 400 whp safely on stock internals (and this new block is rumoured to be stronger than the original VQs in the early 350Zs), so that brief advantage to your car goes away.

I'm just comparing apples to apples here. But I hope you're right about the block. Actually, this being a subaru boxer engine, unless they really cheap out, it should be good for over 300 whp on stock internals. We will see, though.
Eh... not the N/A block. I'm guessing 275-300 crank and every day will be the ragged, ragged edge. Below 275 (say, 260ish) will probably be safe with a good tune if 230 is the factory target.

I don't need to keep up with boosted Z's... beyond a certain point, you just have to get it to where it's fun to drive. I'd say something in the 1 hp per 10 lbs meets that criteria, at least for me.

With that in mind, the 370Z can manage 0-60's in under 5 seconds with that power:weight ratio, so sounds like a good target to me.

I'm not going to worry about more than that unless I blow the motor... I'd rather not do that

How the hell did SCC shed 700 lbs without a blowtorch?!
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote