View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
motrek

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
My 6.2” factory head unit is giving me the shits over the last couple of days. It only connects to my phone (iPhone 6s) after a couple of cycles of rebooting the phone and powering down the head unit.

Then when it does connect, it’s gotta play something, so it plays the first song on the thing. I’m a little over Take on me, by ah-ha. I mean it’s a great song and all, but every time I drive out the driveway?

And never mind actually trying to choose an album to play using the head unit. The user interface might be able to cope with ten or twenty artists, but I’ve got more than that just under “a”.

Bloody hopeless. Everything else I own works flawlessly with my phone. I think i’ll prioritise swapping something in with CarPlay, as every CarPlay car I’ve driven has just worked.
Yeah CarPlay would clearly be better... it's disappointing that the car doesn't come with CarPlay on all models when many other cheaper cars do... although there IS an argument that it might be a cost-saving measure since I imagine that Apple does charge a licensing fee for CarPlay. :/

It might have been lost in a flurry of posts above, but the way I deal with the delay in connecting via Bluetooth is to start playing a song/podcast on my phone when I get in the car. It plays via the phone's speakers, then I start driving to where I'm going, and after a while the phone connects to the stereo and it switches to the stereo. So everything goes as expected except the podcast is playing from my phone in my pocket for ~30 seconds, which is stupid, but I've gotten used to it.

If the stereo isn't connecting at all then I'd would ask Subaru to replace the head unit under warranty. I doubt they would give you the option, but MAYBE they'd be willing to put in the 7" unit with CarPlay instead, to solve the problem... ?
motrek is offline   Reply With Quote