View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #22
Griever423

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
It does take a lot of tuning and it was certainly a learning experience for me. While I went with OEM Audio in my FR-S, I spent lots of time and $$ figuring this out in my Sequoia years ago.
With 2-ways, when you separate the tweeter and mid-bass driver...........you need to be prepared for what that entails. The supplied crossovers on a component system are not built for this. You will get a very "tinny" one dimensional sound stage. After going through many off the shelf component sets, some expensive, some not, I finally landed on a pair of Scanspeak revelators and a set of HAT ring radiator tweeters. I had crossovers custom built, but ended up swapping some of the components when I would change drivers. My tweeters are crossed at 5K and the mid-bass drivers at 5.7K (12db slopes, iirc). That overlap is what is necessary to overcome the separation of the tweeter/mid-bass. I ended up contacting the owner of HAT to get some guidance on this arrangement, and that knowledge is what allowed me to finally be satisfied with the results. Time alignment between the two drivers is not needed to achieve results, but time alignment between L/R and sub channels is critical to building the sound stage you desire.

Good luck on you build.

I'm guessing I'm just not used to hearing what a proper sound stage is supposed to sound like. I previously owned a 2013 BRZ and had diamond audio components installed with the tweeters in the factory location and it sounded good to me. Guessing in that case I just don't know what I'm missing.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote