Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Rc cars and boats are predominantly electric now and outperform their nitro powered counterparts handily
Electric cars already handily outperform their gas powered counterparts in acceleration and at some tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Or we could just use inductive roadways to charge vehicles as they go...

Best of all worlds, but car companies can't charge customers for that work (puns intended), so noone markets that idea.

Point is, there are far better ways to solve "clean" transportation problems than dumping money into batteries.
O RLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
One could say the same thing about infrastructure for fast charging. Battery EVs work now because they are relatively uncommon. I don't think the current system scales well. Chemical batteries were the convenient solution, but we should be spending more effort on a real solution. It's like telling people that if you really want to combat climate change, you should stop eating meat and stop buying new heavy industry products (like cars).

Batteries are heavy, delicate, expensive, and heavy. Heavier vehicles, in addition to the kinetic energy equation, need heavier structures, which require more energy to make. Also, the maximum output of batteries is usually a percentage of the capacity/time. So you can no longer have a sports car. You either have a big heavy muscle car or an economy car. Most people won't care, but I do.
Tell me more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Dude you understand how inductive charging works right? No. F***ing. Way. It. Will. Ever. Happen.

It's like turning every single road into a maglev track expensive, and the charging speed probably won't cut it.
Not even close to working.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote