View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First Time Driving Manual Transmission...Need Advice!

Okay so it's a little harder than I thought...I drove for an hour in a Yaris and I was still jerking to both 1st and 2nd. i drove for about a mile until my first stall. I did everything on the list--stalled, jerked, wheel spun, rode the clutch, etc...I was learning in a semi-hilly place but still stalled on the false flats. I'm still engaging to first very very slowly. This is why I'm not learning in the our new FR-S plus it's not even broken in.

At the end of the hour, I stopped stalling until our driveway but still took a long time to get the car moving. Sometimes I rev too high and the clutch isn't halfway out...but sometimes I roll back and my dad says I'm not giving it enough gas...It was confusing because the Yaris has no tachometer so it was really only up to me to determine gas input.

My left foot is also sore, on the top. Is that normal? I'm a bicyclist so it's not like my feet are unfit for physical activity. What's the correct position for the clutch foot?

Am I supposed to keep my heel on the floormat? I watched my dad and he keeps his heel on there, but when I do it I feel I need to raise my whole foot and I think that's what's slowing me down.

I only got an hour because we borrowed the car from a friend who didn't mind because he's selling it but I'm still looking for my own I can beat up.

I feel like I need a lot more practice just to get my muscles to remember when to let in and out but the uneven terrain is what's messing me up.

I'm never going to give up but I'm frustrated because it looks like I won't be driving the FR-S anytime soon, because I really want to be refined at it before I get behind the wheel of it.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-11-2012)