View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 02:23 AM   #29
FineVisionz

Drives: Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Sorry regulars you have to sit though this story again but my final point is relevant.

I am very much an oddball on here since I had no clue these cars even existed until the day I bought one.
Although I had seen some of the concept stuff back in 2009 being a diehard DSM/Mitsubishi guy I did not follow either Toyota nor Subaru so did not know it was actually being built. One day in mid 2014 I was having my oil changed at the Mitsu dealer and got bored so decided to go next door to the Scion dealer to look at the tC that I had seen for the first time ever the weekend before.
I walked through the door and stopped dead in my tracks. Sitting in the middle of the showroom was a sleek, low, gleaming orange angel. I crawled in, under (well looked under), and all through it. After finally convincing a salesperson that I was indeed interested (not sure why they ignored a 55 year old guy in a Marylyn Manson tee shirt and ratty jeans) they let me take a nasty beat up trade in for a test drive. I had to have it even though my other car was only 2 years old and I would take a beating on trade in. We went back in and eventually hammered out a deal. Keep in mind I knew NOTHING about these cars.
So after leaving a deposit on the very first one I ever even knew existed (the one in the showroom) I went home and started doing research. I read dozens of reviews that very clearly said "needs more power". I though that the one I test drove seemed fine but OK maybe I didn't try to push it hard enough so missed something. I eventually stumbled across this forum and read all this stuff about the horrible "torque dip". I honestly started to have second thoughts and almost changed my mind based on the comments. I figured I would go ahead with the purchase but planned on getting a header, tune and supercharger to deal with this dip and lack of power. A few days later I took delivery and started my 4,000 miles a month driving. It took me all of 2 days to realize that the guys complaining about power and dip were just plain wrong.
So now at 120,000 miles the car remains as I picked it up and I have found that no performance enhancements have been needed. I have never had any issue passing anybody or merging due to the dip. Minivans do not smoke me on launch. Overall the car has proven to have very few of the "issues" that I read about.
Soooo... When I read statements from people that have no wheel refering to the dip or lack of power I automatically go into counterpoint mode.
Wow! This is a very reassuring post. I can some what relate to this. I have had very little time behind the wheel of any variant, BRZ/FRS/86. Less than 15min if that. Just like you said, I read posts of "It needs more power"..." torque dip"..." getting beat by soccer mom's". And I'm not going to lie, It kinda worried me.
I want to thank you for sharing your experience with me because it really does help reassure me.
And yes, I know. In the end, it just comes down to getting more seat time in the BRZ to decide if it's the right car for me. Even though I've been in love with the car since it came out in 2013 so I'm pretty much set on the car, haha.
FineVisionz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FineVisionz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-29-2018), Ultramaroon (09-29-2018), why? (10-01-2018)