Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #50
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thanks. I am learning this. I've never had a tire in this class before so it's all new to me. It certainly isn't my first choice given how I use the car, but I got a set from a friend for cheap so figured it was worth a shot.
Bringing this back from the dead to see if you experimented with these tires more. Any new info or did you give up on them?

I ran a season of road racing in my previous race car (ITA prepped CRX) with BFG R1S and Hoosier R7. That was a 225 on a 7" wheel and what I learned was that the R1S needed to be driven with more slip angle compared the R7 and at about 2-3 fewer PSI when hot. My R7 was fastest on that car at 38ish and the R1S like 34-36 (27ish cold).

As for their durability as a track or road race tire - the T4 national runoffs champion (Oscar) was on R1S's. I like them about as much as I liked the R7, it just took me some time to adjust the slightly greater slip angle necessary to reach their peak G.

Now that I have a heavy car (FRS) and I'm squeezing 245's onto a 7" wheel (because rules) I've need to relearn the tire and how to maximize that width on that rim. I have 3* of camber all around and ran the tires at 37-40 hot and wasn't happy. I think I may add another half degree up front (3.5*) and pull 3-5 psi out of them on my next go around and see how that goes.