Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
I mean generally if the keys are on your person and you're sleeping in the driver's seat it's a DUI. But say you left the keys in the trunk or you slept in the passenger seat/rear seats would that still be considered impaired care and control in Canada?
Think the keys need to be elsewhere.
@p1l0t, here's a fun story, and it's a short one.

After a long day of work this summer, we decided to sit on the tailgate of our trucks and knock back a few beers in the hotel parking lot, since it was a beautiful day out. We were about 4 beers deep into our relaxing evening, when a fine member of the Ontario Provincial Police who was also staying at the hotel approached us. Here is what happened:

Officer- Now I know you guys aren't having beers outside
Me- (under the assumption that the officer is just pulling our leg) Of course sir, it's a beautiful evening and we're having a nice time shooting the breeze
Officer- In that case, clear out before I start writing tickets
Me- Seriously? Isn't this private property? What would the ticket be for?
Officer- Drinking in public, and don't play stupid with me. It doesn't matter if this is private property, you're still drinking in public. Also, are those the keys to the truck on the tailgate? You better get a move on unless you want this to get a whole lot worse for you.

So, ultimately, the cop decided to flex his power on us. Luckily though, no tickets were written, but he did strongly suggest that a care and control thing was going to happen. And, to add to the "WTF" of that situation, we weren't being loud, we weren't swearing, we weren't disturbing anyone, we didn't have empties laying around.

Man, some cops suck. But, that's in stark contrast to almost the exact same situation at the exact same hotel, but the year before when an OPP officer came up to us and said almost the exact same thing, but made a joke out of it and said "enjoy your night, but don't be too loud"
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-07-2018)