View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pet Peeve: Poorly Designed Side Mirrors

I've noticed that newer cars are being designed with side mirrors that cannot be adjusted properly because they do not rotate to the right angle. Why is this? Because 99% of Americans don't know how to adjust their mirrors properly.

I don't have any blind spots. I can see entirely around any car I drive without a shoulder check because my mirrors capture everything. Blind spots are the result of mirrors being too narrow.

The general public sets their mirrors to where they can see their own car in their side mirror, giving them the exact same view of the rear view mirror.

(I actually don't entirely agree with this - the "too wide" would still be fine because it would give you the view of everything around you. The small 2-3 foot gap isn't even enough to miss a bike, especially if you lean your head as you look since it gives you a "sweep" )

On my mom's Yaris I was annoyed that when I tried adjusting the mirrors out further the physically would not move any further. Manufacturers in an attempt to make cars look more "sleek" are having mirrors folded inwards more, but this is not correct.

See the below links if your mirrors are not set up right.

This is how I set up mine (lean head until it touches window)
http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/index.html

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/ (shows how most people have their mirror redundantly set up)

An interesting advantage is that by looking forward but glancing at the side mirror, I can lean to the right/left to make a sweeping view of everything from the mirrors view up to the side of my car.

I have never cut off anyone accidentally. I will periodically do shoulder checks but it only confirms what my mirrors told me.

I hope the FT-86/FR-S will have side mirrors that can be adjusted properly. Or I'll be pissed. Probably may not buy the car if it's not correct (serious). My visibility is pretty important to me, being a motorcycle rider as well.