View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
alex.s

Drives: '17 BRZ Premium. Totaled: '16 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pad springs rubbing on rotor?

Hey y'all.

I've done my brakes many times in the past but this time my pad springs are rubbing on the outside of the rotor (which does have a little bit of rust on the outside of one half of it) and it makes an annoying squeak as the wheel turns which is audible when going slow.
I took things apart and tried adjusting it again and made sure the clips are seated correctly in the calipers but I can't seem to get the squeak to stop unless I hold the spring up slightly.
I tried sanding down the rust on the outside but didn't go very far with it. it was kinda strange to me that the old clips didn't rub but the new clips do so I figured I'd reach out here before I jumped into anything... the new springs/clips looked identical to the old springs which didn't rub at all.
The rotors themselves are fine aside from the little bit of rust on the outside surface which is definitely where the springs are touching (not on the surface that the pads touch, on the outside diameter) but since they're still fine on the main surface I didn't think it was time for a replacement.

I didn't think it was possible to put the clips in backwards or something. maybe that's what I did? I guess I could take 1mm from the clip area that's rubbing or something.
I guess I could go a bit more with a dremel and a sanding wheel or something on the rust but wanted to see if anyone else here has seen something like this and what you did to help it. Maybe I'm just brain-farting on it.

Thanks all.
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote