Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry I’m new to this. How do I check the GPS antenna? Is there a video tutorial somewhere I can follow? How can I tell how many satellites it’s picking up? I may try disconnecting the battery or the fuse for the HU to see if that’ll reset it.
@M12Power I would try resetting the battery first, because if its showing you in the same town, it is getting a relatively decent signal. First though I'd check the information screen to see how many satellites you are picking up. The instructions for getting there are on page 27 of the manual. If you are picking up more than 4 (while outside, not in the garage, GPS is line-of-sight), the location should be accurate.

If you are picking up more than 4 satellites and it still isn't accurate, I'd try resetting it once, and if that doesn't work take it back to the dealer.

To answer your question above, the GPS antenna is installed inside the dash. You would need to remove the surround on the dash, remove the 4 bolts holding the radio in, then follow the thin black cable coming out of the GPS unit (bottom portion of the radio). The antenna magnetically attaches to a metal plate and (should be) located on the underside of the top of the dash, as far forward as you can reach so its under the windshield.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
M12Power (01-30-2015)