Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 AM   #57
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
This is an old message, but it looks like nobody ever responded, so I will.

I can't speak for OP, but I drive all over the state. Well, actually, multiple states. I use my phone constantly in the car for navigation, weather radar, music stored on the phone, access to Sirius XM through the cell network when trees and T-Mobile towers interfere with the satellite signal, access to I Heart Radio, infrequently accepting or making phone calls through the car's hands free (almost always while pulled over somewhere), access to Alexa and occasionally reading codes or monitoring the engine using Torque.

Why should I buy a new head unit when I already have a device (my phone) that fills all those functions and is already mounted right next to the radio display? I would still need the phone anyway, both for use outside of the car and to provide connectivity for an Android head unit. And an Android head unit would not reduce the amount of "having to mess with" a screen while driving, since I would theoretically be buying it to do all the same things.

So spend money on a completely redundant device that gains me nothing whatsoever? Why?
Well now, extrashaky, that may be fine and dandy where you roam around, but, messing with the cell phone while driving (or just sitting in traffic) here in Washington State, will get you a $136 fine. Grab it twice and it will cost you $234. If you get caught, of course.

However, you can "touch" or "swipe" it ONCE, but that's it.

In these parts, the best place for the cell phone is in the glove box -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote