View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
jerseymike1966

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Mind if I ask why you would prefer open source? Is it for the sheer fact that you would have the ability to make modifications to tables yourself afterwards, and the whole proprietary ownership thing? If that's the case I can empathize. I think it's ridiculous that if my tuner goes out of business and I need a small update for something like a MAF rescale/climate change that I will be on the hook for entirely new service fee. But at the same time, Ecutek is WORLDS above RomRaider in terms of capability. With RaceRom custom maps, pretty much anything is possible (except for the fact that you are limited to 16 custom maps.....which is usually more than enough for basic street FI setups).
I have a locked tune on my truck. I had to get the tuner to change the tune for me about 50 times in the last 3 years. Luckily, for me he doesn't charge for tune revisions, but I think I am testing his patience. I did many changes to the OTS tunes from OTF and my car is running much better. Cold start noise reduction, leaner tables at low rpms, turned the trouble code off for low temps because I have a 170 degree thermostat, etc. I like the ability to make minor changes without having to depend on someone else. I don't buy that the OFT isn't good for tuning for FI. It seems to me that Shiv/OFT is the recommend tuning device for the SBD Turbo kit. If it is good for tuning a turbo system than it should be good for tuning a supercharger. When I look at tables/definitions that are available for the OFT it looks like everything is there to fully dial in any system.
jerseymike1966 is offline   Reply With Quote