View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #373
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys Back in the UK now. What an amazing week!

Now i've had time to sit back and reflect on the car i've come to the conclusion that my purchase of an 86 really is based on its final price.

There is no denying that Toyota/Subaru have made an incredible machine here and the build quality is superb!

But the biggest issue (as i spoke to the people in Japan about in great detail) is the price of this car. Which is going to be a tough one because of the strength of the Yen at the moment.

At the originally projected £20k UK price i wouldnt have thought twice about it. But i read that the car may start at £28k when it reaches the UK Which unfortunatly is way too much. I'd pay that for a top spec TRD version, but no way for a base model.

The BMW 1 Series Coupe starts at £21k and i could get the 125i M Sport for £27k which has more power and has a 0-60 of only 6.4secs. No way would anyone pay £28k for a smaller, slower and less equipped Toyota.

I talked about this in great length with a very nice guy from the Japanese advertising team (yes, the real one this time lol) and he too has concerns over the price. Which is unfortunate as the strength of the Yen is outside of Toyota's control and i would hate to see this car flop because of the currency.

But i am very much looking forward to the release of the car now and also my first drive! From the inside the feel of the paddles on the auto trans was very very nice, so im looking forward to driving both the auto and the manual. I think its only fair to give both boxes a go before handing over your money
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote