View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac341 View Post
Anyway, this is probably a super lame first post, but after hardcore lurking for the past few months, and reading every single thread I could find, I have a few questions about the Vortech kit + other components of the car.

1. I like the feel of the stock suspension, but want something that lowers it about 1" or so. With the Vortech, I've read that it's a good idea to replace both the shocks and springs (so coilovers I guess). What suspensions are you guys using?

2. Planning to get the AP racing Sprint Big Brake kit from Essex - does the 20lb weight savings help offset the weight of the Vortech? Trying to keep the weight distribution close to the original. Also, Sprint or Endurance? Both seem fine since I won't be tracking it much at all.

3. Does the Vortech work well with the AT? Or, is everyone that has it currently running MT cars?

4. Is an oil cooler needed, based on what you guys have seen SO FAR? Obviously, that can still change with summer coming up, but what has been your experiences?

5. With the Vortech installed, is the Perrin intake (or any intake, for that matter) overkill? If not, which would be good to use with the kit?

6. (probably most importantly) How long of a break-in period is needed before adding the vortech is "safe" for a new engine? I have already decided to buy the kit, I just would like to get it installed ASAP, but want to make sure the engine is broken in properly first...

Thanks so much for even taking the time to read this. I'm excited to be part of this community and really excited to see what else gets expanded upon/developed with this awesome platform.
I'll let the other guys on here answer the suspension and brake questions from #1 & #2.

3. The system will bolt right up without issue, but we have not released our tuning with our complete system for the automatic transmission yet. For systems purchased through Perrin or Visconti, they can provide you with tuning for an automatic transmission FR-S/BRZ without issue.

On a side note, there are tons of manual transmission enthusiast-owned cars in SoCal, but we have not been able to source enough automatic owners in SoCal willing to lend us their cars for 4-6 weeks to confirm universal calibration for the autos. If anyone that has a 100% completely stock automatic FR-S/BRZ on here might be interested, they can pm me for further details.

4. An oil cooler should not be needed unless competition level track racing is your intended use, and even then the oil cooler is more of a given for any vehicle, regardless of modifications or boost.

5. The design of the Vortech air box included with the system is designed to function as a more OEM version of a CAI, and therefore would not allow the use of another CAI in conjuction with it.

6. We have had new car dealers that sell and install our various systems for years, right off the lot on brand new vehicles. For that reason, unless someone has a compelling argument on how an FA20 engine is unique in that fashion, I would say that no significant break in period should be required prior to Vortech System installation.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote