Thread: Mods to avoid
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 03:16 AM   #155
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting back to the original topic, I agree with Tcoat in that it's all about what you think is best for the car. Only rule of thumb I'd offer is "do it right, do it once", but even then you'll definitely make at least one poor choice with this car because the temptation is just too big sometimes. For example, being on a (very low) budget and not wanting to wait months to start modding I bought a cheap $350 catback and some lowering springs. They've done their jobs fine but the drone on the catback is really annoying sometimes and I know that the increased spring rate on stock struts/dampers is only putting extra unnecessary stress on the car. Eventually I'll have to replace them which means I'll have sunk costs that I could've avoided in the first place.

So there are pretty much two ways to go about modding: The fast and cheap way which will end up being more expensive than you could ever plan for as you'll be replacing and fixing things constantly, and the slow and pricey way where you buy expensive but quality parts that you'll never replace but you have to wait until you've saved enough to buy them. The main difference between them is that the first way gives temporary satisfaction but never completes the big picture, while the second way offers little to no satisfaction until you've finished your checklist, at which point you'll be so satisfied that you wouldn't have done it any other way.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote