Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
That's all well and good, but the FRS has roughly 15 years of technology advancements/refinements. It SHOULD be competitive. If it wasn't, there would be a real problem... and in the real world, today, it's possible to get an S2000 for significantly less money than a stock FRS.

About the FRS upgrades: "not too much money" is debatable. Adding a supercharger, coilovers, light wheels, a big brake kit, etc. is not cheap no matter how you look at it. That's easily $10k - $15k. That warranty goes out the window, and if you spent that same amount of money on mods for the S2000 you'd have a significantly more powerful car with a higher level of performance.

I'm not hating on the FRS. I still would like to get one eventually after they've depreciated more. I'm just being realistic about the comparison.

Realistically, you could look at even older cars like the 240sx and RX7 and get even more value for your money in terms of performance potential vs cost. It's hard to argue with factory turbo light FR coupes. The reliability might not be there, but the performance and excitement will be.
Comparing new vs. used is generally a bad idea. Reliability can't be tossed out the window, or wear and tear on the cars' interior and exterior. Especially with a car that was designed as a daily driver and not a solely as a weekend plaything. People who want a new car rarely will choose something 7 yrs old (that wouldn't have a warranty either).

As far as mod costs go. I could build a supercharged/turbocharged FR-S with tires, brakes (not a BBK unnecessary), shocks/springs, and an oil cooler that comes well under $10k that would probably be equally as fast. $7.5k would probably be enough. Maybe $5.5-$6k if you're ok with used parts to match the used S2K.

The point isn't a "same money" dollar per/mod on both cars point. The FR-S is a DD that you can buy new and mod that performs, is practical, gets solid MPG, and looks good. Special note, none of the most common N/A power mods that actually make power would void a warranty in themselves if going in that direction first. The point is the S2K was originally built as a much more expensive purpose built product. So it's no surprise that it was constructed with better quality parts and is holding it's value well. Now let's do the same comparison S2k vs Cayman.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
DriftinFRS (12-01-2014), Tcoat (09-18-2014)