Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #825
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inositle View Post
Google Maps won't do navigation or search while offline, it only stores the raw map image & street names. I've struggled to find a map app that is close to as user friendly as Google (or even iOS maps), that doesn't suck at getting a GPS lock, and has variable volume that doesn't stop my background audio.

CoPilot was decent, but PodcastAddict would stop playing after voice guidance. I think I couldn't figure out how to increase the voice volume in Sygic and it's pretty expensive ($31 for USA). My current best option is Navfree but sometimes the GPS lock spazzes out. MapFactor also looks nice but the search wasn't intuitive (had to enter country, city, etc... every time). I've been surprised at the (lack of) quality of these apps - maybe running on this Android unit causes issues. I'm open to any other nav apps you guys have found though

On another topic, I removed the screen protector as somebody awhile back suggested that it reduces the screen glare. Unfortunately, I've noticed the screen gets scratched like crazy just from the skin on my fingertips... I've never seen something so delicate. You can't notice it when the screen is on much, but it's obvious when it's dark and I've only owned the unit a few weeks. Will probably look for a new protector now.
I know Google maps doesn't do that, I just meant the caching is useful. I don't know why you wouldn't want the navigation to dim your music volume, but whatever. Also, it's not a screen protector, it's a factory film that you're SUPPOSED to take off when you get it, it's only to protect during shipment. It's like when I see people who have plastic on their flatscreens at home or monitors on their laptops, it's not supposed to stay on there...
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote