krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDoubleX View Post
Need some help on an issue that just came up and I am wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue as well.

I went to top up my gas the other day, started driving and noticed that the gauge didn't move to "full" after filling it right to the top. So drove her for a bit and the gauge went down so I stopped to fill up again (to the point of overflowing) and the gauge still didn't go up to "full".

This was on the way to the track so I threw her around the track to see if it was maybe a float issue and the gauge ended up moving up to the full line, but now was pushing the gas out of the tank and overflowing during fill up.

The gas pump will stop, noticing that the tank is full but it just keep pushing the gas right out the top. Talked to a couple fellow Twins about their issues with the fuel sending unit but took her to Toyota who is thinking it might be a venting issue with the tank. They don't know if it is from the fuel pump, the gas tank itself, the sending unit and showed me all of the different places they will need to disconnect and get me to fill up before figuring out the problem.

So before allowing Toyota to go crazy ripping my car apart (or just live with potential overflow issues), has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post!
I've had this exact problem when my BRZ was new. I've learned since to only fill-up when the fuel gauge hits half-way point or lower and no issues since.

When my family drove Hondas during the 90's, filling up when the fuel gauge hasn't gone lower than 50% would render the needle inaccurate, hence we only filled up when it was close to empty.

Your solution now is to drive until the tank is close to empty, and then fill it up again. I don't press the trigger all the way (slower fill rate) and I stop once it clicks.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote