View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
VesperLynn

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow 86 OWNERS: Why did you buy the 86?

So we've been on the forums for a while now. Either we've been lurking around reading topics, we've been here since the first concept was revealed, we saw another 86 lover driving along in theirs and fell in love to later acquire one, or any other reason.

So why did you buy your twin?

For me, I was in Wilsonville in Oregon and I walked out into a parking lot to see a white BRZ in the distance. I had never seen the car before, so naturally, I walked on over. The car was beautiful. It had curves, aggressive styling, and most importantly to me: it wasn't a Mustang. Driving around seeing the same thing, day in day out became boring. "Oh look, another Camaro." Granted, they can be great cars, the only thing I didn't like was that everybody and their grandmother owned one; almost literally! It was fresh, it was something I hadn't seen before. Like I started off saying, it was beautiful.

It had this supercar vibe about it. It just looked like it could take on a Ferrari. After researching about the car, and realizing it's "lack" of performance from what I believed it would have, I wasn't disappointed at all. I was all the more intrigued. It meant it was open for endless possibilities. It could be stock, only touched by the mechanics at the local Subaru dealer, or it could be an incredible road warrior. I had always been into the tuning and modification scene, or rather, I had wanted to be. Ever since I was little I was always enthralled seeing a sporty red car driving down the road. Then video games came along into my life and I could build the car of my dreams. I could add blinging wheels, over the top vinyls, ridiculous wings, it was fun to create things that were out of this world stupid, laid-back, reserved, and total supercar. Playing games like Need for Speed Underground and Midnight Club really got me into making fun, eye catching cars. Then Forza came along which was what got me into the performance aspect of cars. I could tune and tune and tune to my heart's content. I could try and squeeze out as much horsepower as possible. I could tune every aspect of the car to make it do exactly what I wanted it to.

All these things made me want to get a real car of my own and do all of this. I finally turned 16 and got my Driver's license. I drove around in my Dad's Lexus LS430. I had been saving up from when I was 10 years old to buy a car of my own. When I was 17 I bought a newer M3. The car was awesome. It was a beast of turbocharged power. It was incredible and I loved every second I had in the car. However, I hated every second I had under the car... Working on it all the time was a pain and something always seemed to break. I remember I had to push my car to start it for a week. Oh was that fun... But working on the car with my dad was fun even if we didn't want to do it. Spending time together was great. He taught me so many things. It was fun to finally put all the knowledge I had from our race bikes (I raced motorcross since the day I turned 3) I was able to start applying to cars. Working on cars with my dad was the best thing I could have ever asked for.

However a year ago things took a turn for the worst in my family. My mom left, had an affair. She filed for divorce and was taking the house. She was going to kick us out and never once talked to us unless it was for "demands." My dad a few weeks later found out he had very progressive prostate cancer. His doctor informed him of a grime fate: 12 months at best. I came home one day from school to find my dad lying on the floor. He had shot himself.

I bought this car because it reminds me of what my dad and I loved to do. Build something were proud of. Our race bikes were marvels of engineering. For my motocross season in 2005 I wasn't able to use my bikes because they were too powerful for the 85cc class. This car has kind of been a tribute to my dad and the time we spent together. It's been a learning experience. It's been hard. It's been fun. Driving and working on this car makes me feel connected, not only to driving, but to my dad and who he was. The man who taught me all that I knew about everything mechanical. The man who pushed me to do my best in everything I do.

I'm 19 now, the proud owner of a Galaxy Blue Silica Limited 6 speed manual gearbox Subaru BRZ. It's the most fun I've had with any internal combustion engine, and true to Subaru's motto: "Love, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

So I ask you guys: why did you buy the 86?

Last edited by VesperLynn; 04-14-2013 at 10:37 PM.
VesperLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to VesperLynn For This Useful Post:
86BRZ (05-25-2013), AZOOZ_95 (04-15-2013), clzzical (04-16-2013), dirtbike250x (05-25-2013), draggin_az (04-15-2013), Fish Eagle (04-15-2013), Goody (04-14-2013), gzpermadi (04-15-2013), Jon H (04-19-2013), kash (04-17-2013), ProjectD (04-16-2013), radroach (04-17-2013), sklimo (04-17-2013), Sonolin (05-25-2013), TestaRossa (04-14-2013), Turbowned (05-27-2013), Whitigir (05-27-2013), WRXGuy1 (04-17-2013)