View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
BAOVAN

Drives: 2015 Crystal White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
The link to the DIY is in the first post of this topic.
Thank you Darren. I actually read that DIY a "thousand times" by now . I just want to make sure if it is possible to remove the top hat nut (front) without even using the spring compressor and with the strut left on the car like how he did in this threat. By the way, do you think a pass through and a hex key will work? I have an impact wrench but I'm scared to spin the shaft and blow it. Thank you for your help!

P/S: My apology if I missed it but is this the part Darren: "(Since writing this, I have simply started removing the nut by holding the strut vertically, pushing down with all of my weight with the impact wrench, then simply zipping the nut off. There just isn't enough pressure to cause a catastrophic reaction. This is potentially very dangerous, and I would not recommend ever doing it with hand tools as you just can't put enough downward pressure on the strut with a socket wrench. Try this at your own risk... I have had no issues, but if you hurt yourself then don't blame me!)

If you do not have an impact wrench then the only correct way is by using spring compressors. They are available at pretty much any auto parts store, and I think they are free loaners at Autozone. If you have ANY doubts about this step you should take your struts to an auto repair shop and have them remove your springs."

Last edited by BAOVAN; 12-19-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional information found!
BAOVAN is offline   Reply With Quote