Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If it is new to you maybe.

That is all just sily.
If you lose focus so easily because you don't shift gears then you could just use the paddles all the time.

This^ Contrary to popular belief these cars are built as a street car that can be used on the track, not a track car that can be used on the street. You hammer it al the time and things will break. You need to expect that since dedicated race cars have beefed up parts for a reason.

I have been driving MTs for over 40 years and give no more conscious thought to when to shift than I do when to brake or steer. Do people really see a car stop in front of them and deliberately think "Oh that car stopped I had better start braking at 200 feet away so that I come to a rest 2 car lengths back"? No, you just do it. For as "engaged" as I am in my normal driving I may as well have an AT since the reality is that I am pretty much shifting automatically anyway. Now on those rare occasions when I want to push the limits then the MT does certainly have a couple of advantages.
Only real advantages are launching and clutch kicks.

Both transmissions are great, I'm happy with AT but I do sometimes miss shifting on my own, especially since I don't have to commute with the car anymore and sit in traffic with an ankle that feels like it's being stabbed with an ice pick while being lit on fire.

Edit: in regards to MT being "automatic" for you after 40 years of MT driving, I feel you on that, I was at that point about 8 months into driving MT. Not sure why people love pushing MT as some mystical skill that not everyone can have. At least you're realistic and honest about it.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-21-2017), Overdrive (01-21-2017), soulreapersteve (01-21-2017), why? (01-21-2017)