serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
It's very clear you know next to nothing about the ls / lt platform. If you're talking about "stage 1 cams" (only one btw) why are you bringing in OEM concerns?

That engine isnt close to being "maxed out" from the factory. Tuning is a question mark on this new platform but a cam swap and some headers and tuning can easily net some real power traditionally. There have been "recipes" to make 500 whp with basic naturally aspirated mods on the ls1 for years.... we are well beyond that at this point with the current generation of motors.

Also they'll use that motor as a platform to build on and a hand built version or a boosted version will come out in a couple years as a higher trim making more hp from the factory. Traditional gm stuff.
Yes I admit I don't know much about the platform...let me clarify, my claim is:
This is close to as much power as Chevy can give you in an NA engine from the factory without titanium valves.

OEM concerns because...The more power it makes from the factory, the less bang for buck you get from swapping in aftermarket stuff, which is expensive. The comparison with a cammed C7 is because the C7 is cheaper.

It's clear to me that there's much less to gain from a cam swap than in the LT1, given how the power has moved to the higher rpm ranges, and it's probably a bad idea to "add more cam" given where the power peak sits. I would not mess with the intake ports on a direct injection engine. More duration reduces low end torque, more lift reduces low speed efficiency and stresses the valvetrain more. My guess is this is an LT1 with slightly modified intake/combustion chamber and slightly longer duration intake cam, while the LT1 has a somewhat conservative cam in it.

Headers yes, but that's not something the factory can do, and it's not emissions legal in states that care about it. C7 and C8 are on equal footing here, they both can pick up similar gains for similar money.

Last edited by serialk11r; 07-20-2019 at 11:02 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote