View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #300
MugsBRZ
Trying to join the club

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reference 500Q install and system impressions

I finally finished installing the Reference 500Q system in my 2016 BRZ. I decided to stick with the stock HU. Since the only feature I cared about upgrading was to get wireless CarPlay and my BRZ is only an occasional Sunday Driver, I couldn't justify spending the $ on a new HU.

Install Notes
Overall, the installation was straightforward even for somewhat of an amateur like me. Based on other posts, I was wary of getting the subwoofer mounted without difficulty, but it was fairly easy to position it and I didn't have to do drill out any holes. I did find it was easier to screw in the quick release knob first and then the hex bolt. For access to the spare or to shave weight for AutoX, etc., a quick release bolt instead of the hex bolt could be nice, but Daniel from O+ explained the reasons for the hex bolt are to prevent things from getting caught on a large quick release knob as you go about your daily business placing and removing items from the trunk - that makes sense to me and keeping an allen wrench in the glovebox for the purpose of removing that hex bolt if/when there is a need is not a big deal, much like keeping a wheel lock key.

I had two real issues with my installation:
1) one of the six pin connectors on the O+ wiring harness was cracked upon arrival.

https://i.imgur.com/nnIK6H2.jpg
The system was packed very well in an extremely strong cardboard box with the speakers all packed inside in their own individual, custom-sized boxes, but the subwoofer may have just shifted a bit and cracked that connector. I don't know for sure how it cracked, that's just one idea, but I'm 99% sure it arrived that way. Usually, when I begin a project, I take stock of all the parts and make sure I'm not missing any and that none are damaged. But other times, I'm so excited to have time to work on a project that I just get started. That said, I very much appreciate when an item comes with instructions and a parts list with diagrams or photos of each and every part. I was at least 1/3 way through this project when I discovered the cracked connector; I contacted the tech support number on a holiday and Daniel called me back within 30 minutes. He overnighted a new connector for me, which was excellent service!

2) My stock HU didn't have the typical trigger wire necessary to turn on the O+ amp. I called the tech support number on a Tuesday night at about 8:30 pm. I didn't expect anyone to answer or be available at that hour, but after leaving a voicemail, Daniel called me back within 5-10 minutes - color me impressed! He asked me to use a multi meter to test some voltages on individual wires in the 10-pin connector that plugs into the back of the HU and quickly confirmed that my stock HU was wired like a European BRZ and that once in a while, they run into this issue with a US-based BRZ. I bought my car new here in CA; I don't know why the HU is wired a bit differently with respect to the trigger wire for European or international cars, so to speak, but mine was. Daniel and I discussed me soldering the two wires together, but I decided that was above my skill level and too tight a space behind the HU to attempt it. Daniel texted me a photo of a Scotch Lock AKA wire tap AKA quick splice AKA vampire clip along with instructions and photos for how to install it. I had to remove a wire from the 10-pin connector that plugs into the back of the HU and then splice it to a different wire.

When I went to the auto parts store, the owner told me he doesn't like the wire taps and prefers to use a butt connector; I decided to stick with what Daniel told me to get. I'm comfortable doing some minor wiring, including using butt connectors, but I don't have shrink wrap or a heat gun. You also don't have a lot of space to work in the cavity behind the HU. My brother has a lot of knowledge and experience in automotive wiring as he owns a business that installs public safety equipment in police/fire vehicles and he began as an installer decades ago. He told me he has seen so many wire taps fail that he doesn't allow his installers to use them; at this point, I had already installed the wire tap and the system powered right up, so I just taped it securely and will hope there are no issues in the future. I did drop a wire tap while I was working in the cavity, but I was able to retrieve it later by removing one of the trim panels on the side of the center console where it meets the carpeting.

Those were the only hiccups I had and it only cost me $5 (wire taps were sold as a box of ten at my local auto parts store) and a day. I had so many delays in doing this project due to my work/home life schedule that one day was no biggie. And I live in a beautiful, but remote area, so there is only one hardware store and one auto parts store in the nearest town that is a 20 minute drive each way and with small town business hours.

First Impressions
I am so pleased with the sound! Crisp, clear, and clean, as expected and promised. I drove 7 hours yesterday to Southern CA and thoroughly enjoyed the system listening to music from the 40s all the way to this decade as well as podcasts and a portion of an audiobook and using bluetooth for phone calls. I found I typically rock out with the volume at 26-30; I think the volume goes up to 40, but unlike inferior systems, I haven't experienced any distortion even at 85-90% max volume.

Thank you to O+ for producing this system and also for the excellent customer service!
MugsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MugsBRZ For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (01-30-2019)