krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I can read bits and pieces of Japanese. Worst case I can dig up one of those phone apps that translates things you take a picture of. Most important bits of info for me though would be more around correct torqueing spec's.

Really appreciate your insight!
The most important bit to keep in mind when installing the draw stiffeners other than the opposite orientation of the two bars to each other (only for the BRZ), is that they are length adjustable.

There is a crucial measurement of 3mm of a certain area when adjusting (the side where the ball joint sits), and the entire rod length should end up within a set range as dictated by the install instructions (IIRC no longer than 360mm).

You can get the torque specs off the BRZ service manual sticky thread.

So I guess it all makes sense now why there are both the Flexible Tower Bar and Flexible V-Bars for sale. The Flexible Tower Bar is certified by FHI as an approved OE optional part (for the stock setup I think Hyper.Blue comes with one installed), while the Flexible V-Bars is an aftermarket STI part only (meaning it probably isn't the best choice for stock).

There is also another thought of why they introduced the Flexible V-Bars to improve initial turn in, is it because of the stiffer STI rear axle and subframe which provide more grip to the rear, thus making the car harder to enter the turn? STI was initially hesitant in selling the rear axle.

I've actually stopped modifying the car further as I'm not sure if getting the rear axle and v-bars will require me to upgrade the tires as well (I'm currently running Michelin PS A/S 3 and I don't want 2 sets of tires as I hardly drive in winter due to road salt).

I believe nikitopo hinted to the fact that you should always try to balance front and rear stiffness for best handling.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mim (06-08-2016)