Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
DetroitJake

Drives: '13 FR-S 6MT / '14 Prius-C
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
He extended the graph to show what is possible, no you do not want to shift at 8000RPM in first, but if you do, you will be at 4950 RPM in second, that is why he posted this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I'm just going by what I experience on the road. I can definitely avoid that dip by shifting hard at close to redline.

I do it pretty much every day, and you can basically hit right around 5k with a fast shift.
The calculation was based on gear ratios stated in the BRZ service guide and the tire diameter. I checked the tire diameter by three methods and choose the smallest value because it seemed the most conservative. The three methods include tire sidewall ratio calculation (tire code), manufacturer stated diameter, and manufacturer stated revolutions per mile (which was the least value and probably accounts for tire deformation when loaded and rolling).

If you changed your tires, this stuff would need to be re calculated. There could also be some other deformation affects I'm not aware off (non belted tires grow in diameter at high speed, but I would guess this affect is small or non existent due to the radial belting, etc). Its also possible I made some kind of units conversion mistake, but I'm pretty sure all that stuff is good. At least the graph seems to follow what I see when I drive.
DetroitJake is offline   Reply With Quote