Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #2193
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You are confusing two things. The gasoline engine combustion process isn't perfect, so it releases harmful gasses. Those are absorbed by the cat and what is left goes out the tailpipe and is measured during an emissions check. That has nothing to do with a catch can or the positive crankcase pressure issue. That is caused by combustion gasses getting past the piston rings. The engine needs to have a way to relieve that pressure which is normally a PCV system where those gasses go back into the intake manifold to be burned as part of the normal combustion process. With a vented catch can you just vent those gasses to the atmosphere instead of sending them to the intake manifold.

What is the purpose of the catch can ? Isn't to check your oil...? How can a catch can vent those gasses to the atm?

Anyways, someone told me manifold meant the header. Correct?

If that's the case what happens inside the engine is that when it releases those gasses it still all goes down the pipe which goes through the cat?

You don't have to answer all my questions... I am researching, but it will be grateful if you do...
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote