View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Outfront Motorsports review

I will try to keep this review short as not to bore you with my long drawn out experience with Outfront. My review is purely based on the FA20 engine. For all I know they build perfectly good EJ's and sand rails which is their specialty.

I had 2 FA20 motors fully built by John and his team at Outfront. The first blew on the dyno at 3000 miles. Both motors were tuned by Delicious one of the most prominent Subaru tuners in the country. I sent the car back to Outfront thinking they would stand behind their work and fix the motor under warranty. They came back to me and said that it was not a warranty issue and they were not at fault. OK, at this point I was upset but since they already had my car I decided to let them build me a 2nd motor. This time I went with a closed deck along with all their other recommendations at an attempt to build a reliable motor. All work was to be done in house this time so there would be no way for them to pass along the blame (or so I was told).

6 long months go by of weekly phone calls to Jeremy to try and see when they will be able to have my car ready. Still can't for the life of me understand how it could take that long just to build a Subaru motor which is their specialty. I finally get my car back and it starts throwing check engine codes the same day I pick up the car. Less than 1000 miles after having them build the motor for the 2nd time it spun a rod bearing.

There is really nothing Outfront could do at this point to appease me short of refunding my money. Which I'm sure they will not do without taking them to court. I'm not writing this review to tell you not to use Outfront. I'm just sharing my personal experience. They have a great reputation so they must do some quality work. All I ask is that you please visit their shop yourself in person before giving them your business. If you are satisfied with the level of cleanliness and organization at their shop then by all means have them build you a motor.

The last thing I'll say is John please stop telling people you stand behind your work and provide a warranty on your engine builds because we both know that is not true. I sent you an email with a picture of the spun rod bearing and got no response.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 12-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (12-07-2019), Icecreamtruk (12-14-2018), Tristor (10-20-2019)