Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
One change, or option, I'd like to see is a 3-door hatch option like the old school 86. The backseats are all but useless and having extra flat storage would be preferable, at least to me.

Plus, unless they pull a Mazda design, I like the wider views out the back given by larger window design. (think Scion tC but attractive)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
I doubt it will morph into anything. They know what they have and have mentioned that numerous times. A shift death would be to change the dynamics or purpose of this car. I agree...without their market niche the platform doesn't exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
See that is it. To get the two seater hatch back the car would have to morph. They went into detail as to why they went with a coupe and to change it to a hatch would require some substantial alterations to the chassis. It would either have to gain weight or lose rigidity and possibly even gain girth. It is the restrictions of the design and changes would be unavoidable. So how many of these changes would it take to consider it morphed to a different vehicle with the same name?
A two seat hatch would certainly open up a new subset of buyers but probably not enough to make it a two version car. At least not at a price point that the target audience would pay. If they made just the two seat hatch then they totally close the door on one small group and open it for another. Personal opinions about the usefulness of the back seat aside many would not have bought the car without i. I for one don't use the seat often but when I need it I need it. People would just say that without that back seat it is just a larger, heavier, hard top Miata and it would lose market share. That back seat is a selling point to many of the current owners.
Dadhawk (02-02-2019)