View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FRS/BRZ vs E46 M3

I am not exactly sure the format on how to create these vs threads, but since I searched for this and couldn't find the comparison, I thought I would start the write up.

2004 BMW M3 Vs 2013 FRS

2004 BMW M3

Current Average Price- Low $20,000 range with normal/ average Mileage
3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual
Length: 176.8 in
Weight: 3415lbs (Curb Weight)
Torque: 262 ft-lbs. @ 4900 rpm
Horsepower: 333 hp @ 7900 rpm
Turning circle: 36.1 ft.
Standard LSD
0-60: 4.8 seconds
EPA: 15/22

When the FT86 started making appearances, first as sketches, then prototypes, I was extremely excited. A car I had dreamed of was finally surfacing as a car that Toyota would actually end up producing. As the car came nearer and nearer to production, they started making announcements regarding the engine and power. I was a little heart broken that not only was the car to receive the heart of a Subaru (I love Subaru's, but it didn't seem fitting for this car to me), but on paper, the car was underpowered. I started to lose faith in the car and begun looking for alternatives. I wasn't really looking forward to waiting a year or more to purchase a car that was going to be mediocre at best. I started by looking at new cars in that price range, and then at used cars that would be in the low to mid $20k mark. After a lot of searching, I decided to go with a 2004 BMW M3 (pictured above).

My reasons for buying the M3 over the FRS/BRZ were as follows:
  • I was 16 the year the E46 M3 came out, and fell instantly in love with them, but they were a super car as far as I was concerned at that age. So I believe there is some nostalgia there.
  • The price was actually less than the BRZ/FRS
  • The car had already depreciated greatly, and is going to hold its current value longer than the Toyobaru
  • 333hp/ 3415lbs vs 200hp/ 2800lbs
  • Individual Throttle Bodies (if you have experience with ITB's, you know they are amazing)
  • The car is proven, and all of the issues are known and reported. The Later Model M3's have most of the weird issues ironed out.
  • Naturally Aspirated. No forced induction (Like the 86)
  • Amazing Handling- the car is known for the handling, not the power (like the 86 as well)
  • Its an M3
I drove the car for a while and really loved it, but the day I saw the FRS in person, it pulled at me and I fell in love with it. It was so weird for me to see a car in person that started out as a drawing in a magazine I had seen years earlier. I couldn't believe it existed. I hadn't ordered an FRS, so I gave the dealer my number and had them call me when one came in that was available. I bought one and sold the M3 3 days later (very easy to sell that car).

So now for a comparison-
I must say that it was an extremely hard decision to get the FRS over the M3, and there are still days I wonder why I did what I did? Here are the comparison Notes:
  • BMW Has More Torque
  • BMW Has Leather- This is good and bad. 8 Year old leather is at the point where it looks nice still, but you can tell it is starting to age, and wear out. I actually prefer cars without leather seats in general.
  • FRS has a warranty, lower miles, and easier/ maintenance.
  • FRS has less factory required maintenance (like vanos adjustments)
  • FRS is a Brand New Car, I know how it has been driven/ Treated
  • FRS EPA is far superior
  • BMW has a rear seat that not only fits children, but adults comfortably (but I dont have kids, so I really dont care)
  • BMW is probably safer in most accidents based on size
  • It is probably just as hard to find a clean M3 as it is to find a new FRS/ BRZ right now
  • M3 has 19" staggered wheels with 265's in the rear stock.
  • Both Cars are nimble and fun on windy roads
My Choice? I personally still have to go with the 86. I can't say that I enjoy driving one car more than the other, but I feel guilty putting miles on a low mileage E46. I almost feel like it is a car that you buy to only drive on the weekends. I drive around 70 miles a day to and from work. The M3 is amazing for the commute, but I hated putting miles on it. I feel like the Toyota is a good compromise between a practical car and a sports car. Originally the plan was to keep both cars, but since we had someone interested in the M3, we sold it. Both cars are great, but they are still incredibly fun to drive and it makes the decision a difficult one.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote