soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
One of the tricks we used to use, when the sub boxes got too "boomy," was to fill the box with polyfill. It helped keep the bass tone deep without overpowering the rest of the signal, especially in cars with small cabins like ours.
fiberglass insulation is generally better, with some obvious physical differences that can be significant negatives.

i can't find the charts anymore, but there were a few studies in audio forums about it.

the entire concept of insulation in an audio sense is that it coverts movement into low level heat. by doing so, it slows air movement within the space, which is the fundamental part of how insulation makes a small box sound bigger.

fiberglass is a better conversion medium, but it's itchy to handle, and not great to breathe. polyfil is supposed to be a synthetic, healthier, and easier to work with medium that performs the same task. but because it doesn't convert the same, it's main advantage is for ported enclosures so you don't have to be breathing fiberglass strands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyObnoxious View Post
I was considering some polyfill, but I think my real issue is a 300 watt max sub running on a 500w channel. I think a smaller amp is in order.

Also a smaller box as I now can just barely bring groceries home. I'd like a custom one that tucks into the passenger rear corner without protruding. Like the MTX thunderform that's discontinued. But I'm not ready to spend money on that yet.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
don't look at max wattage. companies lie. compare rms wattage. it's a little harder to lie about, and provides more equal footing. i suspect that it's not as far off as you're thinking.

the only 2 custom-formed boxes i'm aware of anymore are the jl audio stealthbox, and the oem+ subwoofer--which doesn't come separately from the very expensive package...
JonnyObnoxious (07-12-2020), MJones_RB (07-14-2020)