Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Hey look one dude had a rotor failure on his race car! That must mean all the other people using that brand are gonna have the same issue, better run for the hills!

This is why the internet is idiotic.
I agree that does happen.. people having concerns is understandable.

Quote:
Seriously, that rotor looks like it had been run hard for quite a while, you can see the wear had actually left a nice little lip around the hub. Not to mention that the slot wear indicators are flush with the rotor surface. The fact that these are used on a "professionaly" maintained racecar leads me to question just how diligent those inspections were, rotors are a CONSUMABLE resource, just like pads, brake fluid, etc.
I disagree here. That rotor is far from dead (well besides the obvious in this case). I would never consider replacing a rotor that looked like that unless I liked to waste money. The only potential (which is why I asked Mike about it) area of negligence that I see on the team's side is whether or not they've inspected the mounting "ears" for cracks. I check mine everytime I change pads (as best as I can, it's somewhat of a pain in the butt and maybe harder with the wilwood design - without removing the calipers at any rate - especially with the dust shields installed). Either way though, those rotors are just fine, hell when I first saw them I thought "Those rotors look decently new too.". My AP rotors currently look more worn that those do.

Quote:
Personally, I think it was negligence on the team maintaining this car, that led to this. I don't race, and I would never drive my car on the street with rotors worn like that.

<snip>

So enough ranting, I'll let the internet go back to making wild assumptions about the quality of parts a manufacturer makes based on a picture of broken rotor.
I think you are making a wild assumption on the condition of that rotor and the team's ability to maintain the car also. I drive my car on the street and track with rotors worn more than that. I really doubt that rotor was crazy used, it doesn't look like it at all to me.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote