Old 11-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #119
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
At higher temperatures, oil becomes less viscous and it is unable to lubricant the rotating assembling sufficiently. While this might not lead to "blowing an engine", the more worrying fear it that it will lead to long-term issues down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
1. Temperature and pressure are related. Higher temperatures = lower pressure, not enough oil pressure able very bad things (TM) happen.
Lower viscosity at higher temps is not an issue if you go to a heavier oil. Viscosity of 5w30 at 270F is about the same as viscosity of 0w20 at 230F-235F.

As for oil pressure, just look at the plots on the first post in this thread. The oil pressure for 5w30 oil is the same with or without an oil cooler.

So, viscosity isn't an issue if you use thicker oil, and pressure isn't an issue either as the pressure drop due to the oil cooler is equal to the pressure that would have been gained due to cooler oil.

Quote:
2. Yes, many examples exist of people learning about very bad things (TM) the hard way. At this point it’s just stupid to track this car without an engine oil cooler.
Plenty of engines have failed *with* oil coolers. There's a *great* thread which suggests that the stock oil pickup tube is the culprit for sustained high-rpm usage.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134863

I'm pretty satisfied that I'm OK tracking without a cooler for my car and my usage.

It should be noted that adding an oil cooler is not a risk-free proposition. Leaks are not uncommon...

As in other threads, for those considering getting one I'd suggest first having oil analysis done before and after tracking, and see if oil degradation and particulates indicate any problems before investing in an oil cooler.

Last edited by ZDan; 11-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote