View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i'd check stickers (of size/misc manufacturer notes about them in japanese/model/certification and alike, not branding stickers on face of wheels, which often can be bought separately for cheap) and stampings on wheel for authenticity.
For state .. i'd probably care less for scratch marks/curb rush/minor paint defects, but would care for there to be no cracks/bends and such, and if put on rebalancing rig it shouldn't be too off. Paint imho can be redone for fraction of cost of used forged wheels, but i wouldn't be willing to pay for wheels that need some re-welding, hummering out and so on.
Used tires .. about the only time i'd consider them, is if i needed few cheap sets to burn on drifting session. Not for normal proper track or daily driving use. In my book 3 years are max for tires regardless wear, most tires drop a lot of initial grip once wear past first 30% even if thread depth is within legal minimum, and price for used tires usually is cheaper proportionally to thread depth left. So why pay half a price for half thread depth, if you can get full thread depth for normal price, yet may also enjoy when tires are at their best/new. I might consider tires mounted on wheels if they don't add up to price and are freebies thrown in for extra wheel protection during shipping .. except if shipping is from afar or even more so - overseas. Extra shipping weight and size of tires too may add to shipping costs sometimes to extent of what same tire set may cost, so why.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote