Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Originally it was said for leveraging BMW's relatively cheap carbon fiber tech from the i3 into the next Supra in exchange for other hybrid and diesel arrangements. Now I have no clue what is going on, and will be quite disappointed if the i3 has a carbon tub and the Supra doesn't. Even the Alfa 4C has a ridiculously complex tub respectively for what I'd presume is the same price range though different class of vehicle.

I presume the Supra and Z4 are still set to be built in Austria by Magna Steyr....?
I don't believe carbon tub is happening, but that's not to say there won't be plenty of carbon parts. The car is likely going to be a standard Unibody with mostly aluminum used.

And yes, Magna Steyr is manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
I sure hope so. Someone already compared the Supra prototype to the last Supra and they looked about the same size. (The last Supra was 3,500 + lbs)

If the 86 is indeed that close in size to the Supra, and the 86 weighs 2,700 in base form (without the use of exotic materials), then the Supra would really have to be poorly engineered to weigh more than 3,200.

Even with a more robust powertrain to deal with future track models, or a hybrid, or whatever, the base car with RWD and a turbo four should not be that much. If it is, then yea, that is messed up. Get some aluminum and high strength steel in there pronto!
You have to remember, this is a GT car. It's gonna have electric seats, lots of sound deadening, a nice stereo, etc. The weight of the body in white might not be huge, but with the GT accoutrements, it'll be plenty heavier than an 86.

Also, unrelated, that overlay comparison makes the supra look much longer than it actually is. The 86 has the longer wheelbase between the two, Supra just has longer overhangs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-31-2017), new2subaru (08-31-2017), RRnold (08-31-2017), Tcoat (08-31-2017)