View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #33
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had a 93 MkIV (also an 89 Turbo MkIII) and I never consider it a sports car. It remained stock because at the time I had kids to raise and not much hobby money. It was heavy, softly sprung, under tired and pushed the front end hard if you entered a corner too fast. The steering also felt a bit numb like some of the muscle cars I had owned. The stock power was good but not overly impressive.

I have a hell of a lot more fun in my son's 13 FR-S or my 00 Mr2 Spyder with the 2ZZ than I ever had in the Supra. As the OP said, the raw fun and lightness they present is just way more appealing to me.

I am pretty sure I would feel similarly about the A90 but I have not driven a new Supra and I do not even have a desire to do so. I just cannot get by the styling of the thing. Yes, I have seen a couple in person and did a walk around. Still do not like it. Maybe if I drove one it would win me over like the Spyder did. I did not like it either but the hard top and the performance won me over to the point that I can forgive it for being a bit homely. lol. But then you still have the cost of the thing and the Spyder would have to go if I got a Supra.....nah.

Good post comparing ownership of the 86 and Supra V though. I enjoyed the read.
ROFL it's Waffle (02-20-2020), Tristor (02-20-2020), why? (02-17-2020)