View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpesce View Post
As long as youre 1000% sure it'd be what he wants, pull the trigger!

My fear is he has his eye on something else.

I mean... my girlfriend bought me a fitted hat for my birthday and I wanted a snapback... that's a $30 purchase and I was feeling somewhat ungrateful (I know, stupid). So think how he'd feel on a $25,000 purchase if it wasn't exactly what he wanted (ie what if he wants the manual, or the mazda 3 a little more)

Maybe a car buying day. Take him out, bond with your brother and pops, and let him pick out the one he wants. Then let him go home drink a few beers, and wait while you do all the haggling, hassling, and wheeler dealing. Put a big bow on the car all "wifey style" and call it a day. It may not feel as spontaneous but it will, long term, feel better for him. (This is analogous to how I give my gf a shopping spree on her birthday so I don't get her the wrong thing god forbid!)

Just my $0.02 !!

This. There is no harm in making him involved in the process of deciding. For a purchase this big and this personal, I don't think the meaning will be lost by talking to him first and having a car in the driveway later.

Everyone is really hesitant to recommend the BRZ because it makes a lot of compromises to be the driver's car that it is. Most people I know would not want to deal with it on a daily basis. It isn't a big deal, but enough that I would want to be sure first. I wasn't able to decide until I drove it whether I could live with the compromises as a daily driver.

There are other coupes that you can consider that are a bit tamer/average Joe friendly that most people would still consider sporty. I think of the Genesis Coupe, Mustang Ecoboost or V6, Civic SI and Accord Coupe.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote